Vinetalk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: The Vinesauce ROM Corruptor  (Read 78670 times)

Rikerz

• Meister
    • View Profile
Re: The Vinesauce ROM Corruptor
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 03:14:39 AM »

edit: just got it to work, now how do i fix this spc 700 stall detected ?

For Zsnes (and perhaps other SNES emulators) the "SPC 700 Stall" is the equivalent of an NES CPU jam. Basically, the emulator has become lost trying to execute the assembly code in the ROM, and is telling you so. The more bytes in the ROM you corrupt, the higher the chances that such a thing will happen. To avoid getting them as much, change the "Corrupt Every __ Bytes" to a higher value. In particular, SNES games tend to tolerate less corruption than NES games before they jam.

Please note that the "Text Replacement" and "Color Replacement" features of the program were written with NES in mind, and may not work as expected for other systems.

Fear Gingers

• Streamer
  • Plumber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 07:05:37 AM »

I tried my hand at corrupting a game yesterday. It tried this with Genesis and GBA games i can basically manage to get the game to run but as soon as you enable byte corruption it fails... I think ill try this with NES first seen as it seems to be made with NES in mind really.

-OK tried it with SNES failed misserably
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:58:25 AM by Fear Gingers »

Rikerz

• Meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:27:39 PM »

IncomingNumbers did a great post on how to corrupt. It was written for CORRUPT, but the byte corruption section of my program tries to replicate it. Therefore, all of the byte corruption tips apply. The post and thread is located here.

In general, if you can't get a  corrupted game to run: Change the "Start Byte" to a higher value (hexadecimal), and/or change the "Corrupt Every __ Byte" to a higher value (decimal).

Rikerz

• Meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 08:52:03 PM »

I updated the main post with a new version that contains a bug fix for "Auto End". Before, if you loaded a new ROM, the "End Byte" value didn't update properly to the end of the new ROM if "Auto End" was checked. Now, the "End Byte" is set to the end of the new ROM correctly if "Auto End" is checked.

ItCameFromTheSkyBeLo

• Butt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 05:32:09 AM »

I hope this isn't a dead thread or at the very least that you Rikerz are still working, or considering working on this corruption program.

I understand (I think) how the different corruption options work:

ADD: You add a value to the corrupted Byte, Thus if you add 1 to the byte 01001010[74] You'll change the byte to represent the value 75 which would be 01001011

Shift Right: If you shift 10101010 right by 1. It would become 01010101

Replace. If you replace 0 with 1 in 10011001 it becomes 11111111. And if you replace 1 with 0 it becomes 00000000.

Now I may be off in my understanding, and if I am, forgive me. But assuming that I grasp the way these options allow corruption, would it be possible for an option of inversion. Where say 10011001 would become 01100110?

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:36:36 AM by ItCameFromTheSkyBeLo »

Shikaku

• Web Developer
  • Sidekick
  • :3c
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »

Artacus:  rikerz should add a hotkey that automatically closes and reopens the emulator while incrementing the start byte, thereby saving Vinny a lot of strain having to click windows and buttons.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

ChimeraCorp

• Duster
  • GLORIOUS BUTTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 05:09:37 PM »

I hope this isn't a dead thread or at the very least that you Rikerz are still working, or considering working on this corruption program.

I understand (I think) how the different corruption options work:

ADD: You add a value to the corrupted Byte, Thus if you add 1 to the byte 01001010[74] You'll change the byte to represent the value 75 which would be 01001011

Shift Right: If you shift 10101010 right by 1. It would become 01010101

Replace. If you replace 0 with 1 in 10011001 it becomes 11111111. And if you replace 1 with 0 it becomes 00000000.

Now I may be off in my understanding, and if I am, forgive me. But assuming that I grasp the way these options allow corruption, would it be possible for an option of inversion. Where say 10011001 would become 01100110?

Just a thought.

The only issue here, is that what you suggested, and the latter two corrupt too much and make the game unplayable 90% of the time.
Stanky little artist

Rikerz

• Meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 06:06:18 AM »

Artacus:  rikerz should add a hotkey that automatically closes and reopens the emulator while incrementing the start byte, thereby saving Vinny a lot of strain having to click windows and buttons.

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Great idea! I got this working pretty quickly, but I want to polish it by adding an interface to allow the setting of the hotkey. I'll make another post and update the download links when its ready.

Rikerz

• Meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:29:44 AM »

I have finished updating the program to include the hotkey. I have updated the links in the original post to point to the new version.

retroman

• Butt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »

Ok so im a sleep newbie and i have no idea where to save the corrupted roms.Please help

PolarStarGames

• Jabroni
  • From somewhere, a transmission...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »

I've been having an EXTREMELY annoying issue. No matter what I do, the roms are never corrupted. No matter what. I must be doing something stupidly wrong because I just want SOME kind of error to occur, but nothing happens. The Rom always runs flawlessly. And it IS running the "Corrupted" rom, so what the fuck.

An image of what it looks like:

Can someone look at that and tell me what I'm probably doing wrong? Not being able to corrupt is annoying.

IncomingNumbers5643

• Funguy
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 03:47:24 AM »

Can someone look at that and tell me what I'm probably doing wrong? Not being able to corrupt is annoying.

While I'm not sure it's what is causing this notice that your Save Corrupted ROM To field is not the same path as your ROM to Corrupt field

Change D:\Emulators and Roms\ROMS\NES\Super Mario Bros..nes to D:\Emulators and Roms\NES\Super Mario Bros..nes (remember to move the actual rom there too.)

Depending on the emulator it might not know to look in a folder that isn't the emulators root when it's started like this. Generally keeping all these bits in the same folder will cut down on the emulator getting confused on what to run like this.

Also for the record it will be a miricle if you get that specific corruption to run simply because of how corrupted it would be.

Shikaku

• Web Developer
  • Sidekick
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

I've been having an EXTREMELY annoying issue. No matter what I do, the roms are never corrupted. No matter what. I must be doing something stupidly wrong because I just want SOME kind of error to occur, but nothing happens. The Rom always runs flawlessly. And it IS running the "Corrupted" rom, so what the fuck.

An image of what it looks like:

Change every nth byte to 1000 or something and set the setting to add to and change it to 1

PolarStarGames

• Jabroni
  • From somewhere, a transmission...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, it really means alot! Unfortunately, after following your instructions, I'm getting another peculiar error that's stumping me.

If I had to pick one thing to hate about computers, it's ambiguous errors.

Shikaku

• Web Developer
  • Sidekick
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

try changing the Save Corrupted Rom to filename at the end (not the file path directory!) to something like corrupted.nes (i.e no spaces or anything, just something simple)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9