THEREALGABEN'S SUPER HELPFUL POST ON HOW TO FIX TWITCH LAG (FOR SOME PEOPLE)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: THEREALGABEN'S SUPER HELPFUL POST ON HOW TO FIX TWITCH LAG (FOR SOME PEOPLE)  (Read 12749 times)

TheRealGabeN

• Butt
    • View Profile

So for months now Ive had to run the stream in low lately.  Certain streamers (KY and Rev mostly) have been even laggier for me, to the point I can't watch on any settings.

If you right click on the stream, go to Global Settings, Playback, and select the box with Block All sites from using peer-assisted networking, it should help.

I now have roughly 12-15 second delay at worst (rather than the usual 30+ seconds lately) and the constant lag of loading stream, play 10 seconds, freeze to load, then play over and over is now gone and the stream runs smoothly.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:42:22 pm by KY »

IncomingNumbers5643

• Shyguy
  • In a constant state of leeriness since 2010!
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/7W0wj.png

Important if true. Why the hell this would help I haven't the slightest though.

KY

• True Doom-Murderhead
  • Global Moderator
  • Vinesausage Supreme
    • View Profile

Thanks a ton for the post, I'll be sure to link it to people next time it becomes an issue.

TheRealGabeN

• Butt
    • View Profile

Important if true. Why the hell this would help I haven't the slightest though.

WHO KNOWS?

Seriously, I don't know.  But the results are obvious.  Several watchers have said in stream it fixed lots of lag for them, making stream go from unwatchable to smooth.  It did the same for me.

ButtsMachine

• Eat The Muffin
  • Jesus Christ, Vinesauce, they're minerals
    • View Profile

Dude this worked.  I can watch on Source quality again!

Limealicious

• Streamer
  • Scoops
  • Still counting to boom.
    • View Profile

I have no idea how the feature 'actually' works from a technical perspective, but going from the mouse over and what's written on Adobe's website, it seems to allow users who are playing the same content to assist each other and share bandwidth to deliver a smoother video experience with less buffering/lag.

Perhaps with the way Twitch's new player works, people are getting bogged down helping those with shittier internet.. or something. Or perhaps because you are sharing your bandwidth you no longer have as much bandwidth to spare which prompts Twitch's player to buffer you to be "safe". I really wouldn't know what the exact problem is, but I can see how not sharing your bandwidth would improve your video experience on a system that works by pre-buffering on what it perceives to be slower internet connections.

KY

• True Doom-Murderhead
  • Global Moderator
  • Vinesausage Supreme
    • View Profile

Sure, I'll temporarily sticky this. Everyone who catches this message, try to have the link on hand and spread the word a bit, this fix is wonderful.

Taysaurus

• Jabroni
  • Tacticool Goofing
    • View Profile

Okay, so this relates to chrome users. The thing with Twitch buffering a shittonne. I want you to check your extensions for chrome. If you have avast, like I did, I want you to replace it with an extension called "Ghostery". I want you to DISABLE AVAST.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ghostery/mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij?hl=en

The thing is, Avast is too scrutinous, which affects how much data Twitch can send through. Ghostery serves the same function, except it does it through the use of a blacklist/whitelist, where it'll detect the relevant keywords and pull that data out.
Combined with the chat/stream lag fix, you should be able to watch streams at high quality and in near-realtime. Chrome only though. Might help on FireFox.

ThirdScenario

• Koopa Troopa
  • Sir and Doctor, Consistent and Forever In Context
    • View Profile

Okay, so this relates to chrome users. The thing with Twitch buffering a shittonne. I want you to check your extensions for chrome. If you have avast, like I did, I want you to replace it with an extension called "Ghostery". I want you to DISABLE AVAST.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ghostery/mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij?hl=en

The thing is, Avast is too scrutinous, which affects how much data Twitch can send through. Ghostery serves the same function, except it does it through the use of a blacklist/whitelist, where it'll detect the relevant keywords and pull that data out.
Combined with the chat/stream lag fix, you should be able to watch streams at high quality and in near-realtime. Chrome only though. Might help on FireFox.

I can confirm that Ghostery helps with the buffering on Firefox as well.

[color]Thanks for displaying these good, healthy, explanatory and as well as easy tips on your topic.[/color] elliptical bikes

KY

• True Doom-Murderhead
  • Global Moderator
  • Vinesausage Supreme
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the ongoing experimenting and help, guys. Make sure you spread the word if you think Ghostery or anything else that develops would help with the problems that people report in chat.

Veeshush

• Koopa Troopa
  • So magical, playing my game
    • View Profile
    • utoob

I think of lot of it depends on the server the streamer is uploading to. There's a lot of stuff that happens between the streamer's modem and your PC watching it. Certain ISPs are even working with Twitch to improve it.
https://prism-break.org & https://www.eff.org/deeplinks cause we all deserve some common decency and privacy in this age.

deamdoom

• Butt
    • View Profile

The site contains useful material The most common ones

ThePlasticGuy

• Vinebro
  • Turn it up! Get down!
    • View Profile
    • It's my Steam.

Strangely for me, when I uninstalled "Click to Call" on my Chrome the quality was better.