How to Corrupt

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How to Corrupt  (Read 40294 times)

IncomingNumbers5643

• Goomba
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
How to Corrupt
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:59 pm »

What you'll need

1. The corruption program itself. You can get it here (mirror). There's also a Vinesauce specific version of the program which can be downloaded through this topic. It features more descriptive buttons for new corruption users as well as a few noncritical bells and whistles. This guide was made for the old corruption program, but most of what I'm saying is relevant to the newer corrupter as well.

2. Emulators: One for each system you intend to corrupt for. The NES emulator of choice is nestopia

3. Roms: On your own for this one. You know where to look.

-------------

Quick start guide

1. Download and unzip the required files
2. Run the corrupt.exe (if you get a security warning, don't worry about it)
3. Fill in the three topmost fields with where you downloaded the files to, the emulator, and the rom in that order.
4. Set start to a value between $1000 and $F000
5. Set end to a huge number, then find the actual end of file from the prompt
6. Select Every ____th Bytes and put in a number somewhere between the low 500s and the high 3000s
7. Select Add ____ To Bytes and put in the value 2
8. Press Go and play!
9. Mess with either Start, Every ____th Byte, or Add ____ To Bytes to search for corruptions

-------------

Indepth UI guide

Top half

Toolbar: Simple stuff here, File only lets you exit and save and load allows you save particularly cool corruptions, only ten slots though, so taking screen shots during corruption binges is recommended.

Change directory to: Sets the base drive or folder where all other files are found. If you're unsure of where you're storing everything you can just leave it to the C drive, there's no penalty to under defining this besides having to search harder when setting the next two fields

Run emulator: Set this to your emulator of choice. Note that some emulators interpret roms slightly differently, and can lead to inconsistencies in corruptions. If your unsure if you're using the same emulator as the streamer, just ask.

Corrupt this rom: Using a different version of a game is a surefire way to make corruptions not work on the stream, once again if you're not sure if you're matching up, ask the streamer. Usually the version being used is the "U" version, but this isn't a hard and fast rule.

Create now: Creates the corrupt rom without playing it. This is useless for streaming.

---

Range

Start: The start is how far into the rom the first corrupt takes place. Because every other value depends on this varying the start range you can use this to find new corruptions easily, though it isn't the most often used way of doing this. It isn't a good idea to start corrupting a rom right at 0, as most roms would have data that identifies them as roms there. This field is hexadecimal, so you can also use ABCDEF in addition to 0-9 here.

End: The end is where the corruption stop. Because nothing else depends on this it's a crappy way to change corruptions. You can actually set the end to the very last bit of the rom, just put an absurdly large value for the end and the corrupter will tell you where the actual end is. It's also hexadecimal.

Change range by: This value changes how much pressing the little +/- signs change the ranges. This is NOT a hexadecimal field.

Auto End: This changes the end to be one "Change range by" distance from the start. It's fairly useless.

---

Which Bytes

Change ALL bytes: This is going full retard. you never do this, it will NOT work.

Every ____th Byte: This chooses which pieces of the file you're going to mess with. The smaller this number the more often a byte will be corrupted, and consequentially how many bytes are corrupted overall. Setting this too high will make corruptions boring, setting this too low and corruptions will be just too messed up to even run. The sweet spot for NES games is around 800 and for SNES games it sits near 2200. This isn't a perfect rule though. Not hexadecimal.

Byte 0 after Byte AND Mask: No idea how this works. Wizardry.

---

Action

Shift Right: This takes the value for the corrupted byte from a normal byte to its right. This value can be negative to draw from the left instead. Since you won't really know what values your taking unless you've memorized the friggen machine code the specifics don't really matter. Not hexadecimal.

Corrupt bytes with...

*Random Bytes: Bytes selected just get some random garbage replacing them. This changes every time you corrupt the rom, so you can't use this to share corruptions with others.

*Byte Range: It's like random with a limited range, but it's still impossible to reproduce. There's one exception, and that's when the range is zero bytes (like $50 to $50) because then every byte is replaced with the same value.

*Looping Sequence: It doesn't work, don't try to use it.

Add to byte: Modifies the original byte by the number specified. You can make this number negative to reduce the original byte instead. Even adds are usually more stable than odd ones, and positive ones are usually more stable than negative ones. The most usuable add to is usually 2. Adding 0 will do nothing obviously.

---

GO: Launches the emulator after corrupting the rom

Auto: Seems to do the same thing, just use GO

-------------

FAQ

Does using Corrupt ruin my roms?
No, corruptions are made to a temporary copy of your rom, the original is not maimed.

What can I Corrupt?
Theoretically? Anything. Just be aware that the more complex the file becomes the more likely you are to break something that bricks the file. Start with NES and work your way up from there when you feel more confident.

What do I do when I find a corruption I want to share?
Take a snapshot (PrtSc) and edit it down to the window in photoshop OR write down the following numbers from it: Start, End, Every ____th Bytes, Shift Right (or) Add to.

I tried to start up Corrupt.exe and it said I was missing files!
Newer versions of Windows do not come installed with several files Corupt.exe requires to run. A simple google search can find downloads for them, but for your safety only install them directly from Microsoft sites. Note that the program will usually require more than one missing file, but will only tell you of one missing file before closing so you may have to download several. There are also links to these files within this very topic if you don't feel like googling.

I'm switching from Corrupt.exe to the Vinesauce corrupter or visa versa, will the corruptions be the same?
They will be as long as you're sure the numbers are imputed correctly.

I found a corruption I wanted to share but when I gave it to someone else to run it didn't do the same thing!
You are probably using a different version of the rom than who you're sharing with. While outwardly similar different versions of a rom might have wildly different code, meaning that it would respond differently to the same corruption.

-------------

Troubleshooting

The emulator doesn't boot when I try to make a corruption!
No corruption would ever make the emulator fail to boot entirely, as the emulator has to boot before it can read any rom. Check to make sure the path for the emulator is set properly. It should point to the same .exe file you click when you want to use the emulator normally. If it is, check to see if the emulator works on its own, something may be wrong on that end.

The rom never plays!
Make sure the rom path is set right, be sure it's actually pointing at the ROM and not the save data file. If you are having trouble telling the two apart, the save data is the smaller of the two files in nearly all cases. If you've tried this it's entirely possible that you are corrupting too much. Push the start value higher and raise the "Corrupt every ___th byte". Consider making the add field 1 or 2 to being with, as small incremental changes tend to play better with roms sometimes.

The rom hangs immediately/very quickly!
This is normal! Any corruption that targets the whole file will have an effect on things like menus and intro sequences too, if this change breaks the logic of the rom, it will usually freeze up, If you feel this is happening too much to you, take steps to reduce the level of corruption you're attempting (see last question). Additionally creating save states on a clean rom and using them in the corrupted rom can be used to sometimes bypass broken intros/menus.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:15:29 am by IncomingNumbers5643 »

jesusmod

• Saucy
  • godmods are for cheating faggots.
    • View Profile
Re: How to Corrupt
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:42:40 pm »

why not just sell your soul to me? that way you'd be able to corrupt anything!

Chocobro

• Captain Knots
  • dont hate
    • View Profile
    • The Chocoblog
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:50 am »

i wonder if the program works with zsnes
will post results

oh wait
>Could not locate remote server
 :-\
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:26:40 am by Chocobro »
<Turnip> pffftahaha, so this cow just jumped off a ledge into the water
<Turnip> and started swimming with his cow buddy :3

Curley

• MAG - FUCKING - NETO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:57 pm »

It told me I was missing a .dll, so I fixed it, and now this is showing up.

And yes, I tried to download it, and I pasted it into system32, but it still shows up when I try to launch corrupt.
Does it need to be in the same drive as the windows folders? That's what It seems like.

EDIT: looked around on google a bit more and found this: http://devonenote.com/2010/02/register-comdlg32-ocx-on-x64-win7/
Works fine now
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:58:25 pm by Curley »
In went the milk, followed closely by my banana. I had found the meaning of life. I was drilling her in the ass, an ass filled with delicious cereal and my meat, together creating a miasma of pleasure that made me see Jesus.

IncomingNumbers5643

• Goomba
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:46:44 am »

Yeah there's a few outdated dll's that some newer OS's will need to download, but yeah it was just a simple google search so I just forgot about it...

No idea what's going on with you Chocobro, I use ZSNES for my corruptions just fine... If the emulator is different physical drive maybe that would fuck it up? Try sticking corrupt.exe whereever you keep zsnesw.exe.

Chocobro

• Captain Knots
  • dont hate
    • View Profile
    • The Chocoblog
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »

no i can't download the corruption tool because the server hosting it was being a silly thing V:

IncomingNumbers5643

• Goomba
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:26:05 pm »

oh...

well I put a mirror for it if you still need it. Maybe there was some weird IP restrictions on downloads.

Chocobro

• Captain Knots
  • dont hate
    • View Profile
    • The Chocoblog
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 12:55:00 am »

zsnes w/ chrono trigger doesn't work in pretty much any setting, just gives a bad rom
tried nestopia, didnt do shit to super mario world.
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

IncomingNumbers5643

• Goomba
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 11:21:05 pm »

zsnes w/ chrono trigger doesn't work in pretty much any setting, just gives a bad rom
tried nestopia, didnt do shit to super mario world.
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Chrono trigger is really stupid hard to corrupt successfully, most RPGs. Sounds like you need to fuck with your ranges. Try using a specific set of parameters from the corruption screenshot thread.

Shikaku

• Plumber
  • :3c
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 03:57:53 pm »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3087441/corruptdlls.zip

Extract this to your corrupt.exe folder (or system32 if you feel like it, IDGAF)

silty

• Butt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »

The mediafire link is down.  Could you post a different mirror?

IncomingNumbers5643

• Goomba
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:50:55 pm »

Links updated.

Was thinking of making an infographic or even a short video about this, since that's a bit more accessible to the vinesauce crowd. Look out for it sometime (maybe?)

Shikaku

• Plumber
  • :3c
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:11:36 pm by Shikaku »

DemEngineerz

• Chat Mod
  • Funguy
  • La de da.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »

It's kind of embarrassing to even say this when I'm the one who contribute to corrupting but apparently my corrupt.exe can't even access files or use the original files to make the corrupt files and it's starting to piss me off :U.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 11:05:11 pm by DemChatango »

Holyhunter94

• Vinesausage Supreme
  • HORSIE RIDE ONII-CHAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:00:28 pm »

It's kind of embarrassing to even say this when I'm the one who contribute to corrupting but apparently my corrupt.exe can't even access files or use the original files to make the corrupt files and it's starting to piss me off :U.

http://i.imgur.com/daibm.png
OH SHIT I HAD THIS PROBLEM TOO

Ok, I can't remember EXACTLY how to fix it, but it had to do with moving folders or combining them or some shit. Basically it has something to do with access restrictions like if you try to make a new folder with like 7zip and itsl ike NOPE, it's retarded. So yeah, try moving shit around
Pages: [1] 2 3